Tuesday 23 April 2013

How I maintain the good looks of my acrylic nails, extending the wear time + nail designs ideas.

I rarely post about my nails on here, but I always do on Instagram,
I love doing nails, in fact the first thing that dragged me into the beauty world was doing nails,
putting all the lovely designs on ones nail is awesome ! 

I enjoy having acrylic nails, they make my nails hard and wont chip or break, and always stay
in a beautiful shape, and any shape I want. Plus I can paint over it when I get tired of it.

Every time I get my nails done, I tend to just get a glitter colored tip and I'm happy with it.
It is very plain and simple, doesn't over power,neat and presentable, not too long
that it will scare the girls who wants their make up done by me, haha.

This is how I like my nails done

And this is what it will look like in 2-3 weeks, nail has grown about  1/4 ,
the gap was getting very visible. (you'll notice when your girlfriends start to talk talk talk lol)
No Bueno !

And that is when the acrylic refill kits come in handy ! This is one that I found in Big Ws
It was 20 dollars, has everything you will need to do your own acrylic nails. 
I use it for both refilling 
and for making my own acrylic nails (when I do feel very skilful lol)


SO, what I do is :
1. I re-shape them from a square shape to a rounder shape (normally not a fan of square nails,
but its alright to have it once in a while, round nails are more comfortable and looks more
natural to me.) And buffing the edges of the acrylic down( the top area, so the new acrylic can
connect easier and blend in more and look less harsh)

2. I clean the grown out nail area with rubbing alcohol to make sure there is nothing on there
so It won't cause the acrylic shed so easily, also buffing it slightly , unfortunately I don't have one of those buffing machines, but I am planning to get one soon. (Look out for nail tutorials ;D)

3. I take the nail brush from the kit, dip it into the acrylic liquid to saturate the brush(make sure you put the liquid in a separate container so you don't contaminate the bottle.) Wiping the
excess off on the side of my little jar, so the brush is just saturated enough to pick up the powder, *If the brush is dripping, its not right, wipe it!) 

4. Drag the brush tip across the acrylic powder, creating a ball at the tip of your brush. Only take the amount of powder you need to fill your nail space, if you take too much you can make a mess. So i recommend a little at a time. (I take half of  pea size amount)

5. Place the ball of powder on where you want to refill, and smooth it out, take your time,
don't rush, if its getting a bit too tacky, saturate your brush again and continue to work on your nail. Make sure to smooth it out.

6. After all that, repeat the steps to the nails that need to be done. And let it dry completely before you work on the next step. Buffing the nail.

7. After everything is dried, you can start buffing the refilled area out, levelling it with your nails
until it gets to the way you want it, and what is left is putting a top coat on and your done!
Or if you are tired of the design you have already, you can always paint over them with your own design you like :> Promise your nails won't get yellow too ;D 

And then you have pretty nails again ! 

What mine looked like after refilling and added Seche veit
 Top Coat(Fav top coat, dries like a gel top coat). 
Yes you may still see the line there, I didn't buff it enough for it to fade out super nicely,but I knew I was going to paint over them soon anyways.



My refiling lasted a week and a half and now its looking like this, as I don't have a professional nail buffer like I was mentioning earlier in my post, It won't last as long as the work the professional nail girls do. Duh.. If if you do have it, yours will definitely last a lot longer as the acrylic has something to really really stick on( a slightly buffed nail surface is still not enough for acrylic to stick on for a long period of time).
So yea, here you see is my refilling area starting to lift(the horrid time when you hair starts to get stuck in it.)But I like the way it is, so I can do them every once every week,
 refreshing everything, so nothing is too old.

So I would wipe the top coat off, also some of the refill that is shedding off and then repeat the whole process again then finish it off with painted nails :)

And this is what I'm wearing this week.
I've been lovin mint colors and crosses lately, so vala , they are on my nails :)
A little bit of everything, ombre, glitter, poka dots, I love doing my nails.


I hope you enjoyed reading my first every post about my nails,and found it helpful,
and maybe a few ideas for your nails, pretty them up ! :>
I will definitely be posting more about my nails, so stay tuned !

(Ps . I'm not a professional, I'm just a nail junkie ;D so the tips I'm sharing 
may not be a super perfect solution to your nails, but go for it! 
Try it out and see what works for you the best . )

Have fun !
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment